There are many ways to carry a hamster. You can carry it in your arms, in a pocket, in a bag or in a cage or in a small crate. The key is to secure it properly so that it doesn't escape and, above all, doesn't hurt itself.
Taking a hamster safely
Always take a few precautions when carrying your hamster, as they are very fragile and can easily hurt themselves. Here are a few tips on how to carry them without hurting them:
- First, take your hamster in your hands, holding it firmly but not too tightly, without squeezing its stomach.
- Place your other hand under his tail for support.
- Then place him against your chest so that he is well supported and feels secure
- You can then put it in a pocket or backpack, so that it is even more secure and cannot escape.
- When carrying him, be careful not to drop him or put him in a situation where he could get hurt.
Be aware that a hamster does not necessarily like to be handled or transported. If you exaggerate or if your hamster has fearHe may bite. So be patient and don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.
How to attract my hamster?
In order to be able to wear it, the best is to attract your hamster, so that it comes of him even on your hand or in the palm of this one.
As a reminder, you can only touch your hamster 15 days after its birthnot before! To make your hand attractive 2 possibilities :
- Either put a treat in the palm of your hand (not necessarily recommended for a baby)
- Either put a new roll of toilet paper for example, or a game in which your hamster will slip immediately then, game that you will have only to carry. In fact, your hamster will be on your hand and will get used to it.
Lifting a hamster
Your hamster is not a puppy or a cat: don't lift it by the neck! They are far too fragile and delicate for that, you would hurt them. Similarly, lifting it by the paw or by the tail will hurt it excessively.
3 ways to grab your pet:
- Put your hands together to make a platform, this one will then climb on it
- Put your hand under his belly if your hamster is rather cool and low-stress
- Put your thumb and forefinger around him, so that you make a "circle" around his body and can lift him, without pressing on his belly.