The days following the birth of the little rodent are full of emotions, you will have in heart to watch the development of your new small protected, and with a little attention you will realize that every day or almost, it evolves.
The growth of a hamster
During its first days of life, the little rodent evolves very quickly. You can observe the following stages:
- Birth: they have no hair, they are deaf and blind
- From day 2 to day 3: spots of color appear on her skin
- Day 4: Ears begin to develop and grow
- 8th day: the mother gives them their first solid food
- From day 5 to day 11: the fur starts to appear
- From the 10th day: they open their eyes
- Around the 12th day: they start to eat by themselves, without the help of the mother
- Beginning of the 2nd week: they start to visit their world.
- Beginning of the 3rd week: baby hamster becomes big and takes care of its own food and his toilet.
- From the 22nd to the 27th day: depending on the breed, it is recommended to separate the mother from her offspring
If you are looking for a more general way to calculate the age of a hamsterYou can use the table below as a guide. However, keep in mind that after 1 month, the stages and development is no longer as marked as the stages described above, and it is therefore no longer possible to identify with certainty its age (and therefore its human equivalent)
|Age of the hamster||human age equivalent|
|0 to 3 months||0 to 14 years old|
|3 to 6 months||14 to 18 years old|
|6 to 18 months||18 to 40 years old|
|18 to 30 months||40 to 65 years old|
|30 to 48 months||65 to 90 years old|
|More than 48 months||it is a venerable ancestor!|
When can I touch a baby hamster?
A hamster is considered a baby for the first month of its life. You should not touch it during its first days of life, otherwise its mother may reject it.
But be careful: if you want to have a cuddly and tender hamster in the future, in other words, one that is used to your smell, your voice and your hand, it is important to establish contact. To do this, you should start touching it gently with your fingertips, without carrying it, from the beginning of the second week.