Your small companions have a very fragile stomach, they are sensitive to certain food that can be toxic for them. Here is a list of what they should not consume.
Dangerous foods for hamsters
Toxic foods for hamsters are numerous and varied. Some of them are simply inconvenient, others are dangerous or even fatal, even in small quantities.
The list below is not exhaustive even if relatively complete:
- citrus fruits: lemon, orange, mandarin, grapefruit, clementine
- macadamia nuts
Whether fresh, canned or frozen, the following vegetables should not be eaten by a hamster:
- avocado (too fatty)
- lettuce and frisée (other salads are OK)
Other prohibited foods for hamsters
- meat or cold cuts (raw or cooked)
- milk and milk products
- frozen vegetables (no matter what kind: never frozen!)
- canned vegetables (again, never feed your hamster canned food)
- aromatic herbs such as basil, parsley, oregano
- the eggs
- the cakes
- processed products
More generally, if a food is not listed above and you are unsure about what you can feed to a hamsterHere is what you should know. It is important to do not feed :
- Foods that contain caffeinelike coffee, tea or chocolate
- Foods rich in citric acidlike citrus fruits
- Foods rich in oxalic acidsuch as spinach, kale, Brussels sprouts or celery
- Foods rich in calciumlike milk or yoghurt
- High-fat foodssuch as chips, cookies, cakes or candies
- Foods rich in saltas the breadcrackers or salted cookies
- Foods rich in sugarssuch as candies, cakes or cookies
- Foods that contain nicotineIt goes without saying!
Giving a hamster a drink ? water and nothing but water !
I didn't think I would ever have to write such a paragraph, but since I've been asked several times, let's go!
As much as the list of foods not to be given cannot be exhaustive, the list of drinks is: a hamster cannot drink anything but water alone !
Symptoms of poisoning in hamsters
As you can see, hamsters are very sensitive to food poisoning. Many foods that we consider harmless for us, human beings, can be dangerous for hamsters.
Symptoms of poisoning in hamsters may include diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite, lethargy, weakness, diarrhea, and other symptoms. tremorThis can lead to death, convulsions and even death. If you suspect that your hamster has been poisoned, you should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.